Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
This image is the first CMYK construction pulled outside of the RIT studios. I had a lot riding on this working, almost 9 months of research actually. The print came out great and I was lucky that the red ink I had in the studio was the Scarlet red, it makes things more warm. I prefer it for skin tone...
So I have decided to start doing a print a day until I run of time here at the end of the semester. I was talking with the grads that are finishing up their mfa's at RIT and it got me reminiscing about the month I spent working after my thesis was finished. That was the time that I really worked on the construction CMYK prints and I haven't really touched it since. Yesterday I got all the tech stuff working so I decided to jump start things and complete a print a-day for the next 20 days. I'll be posting the prints for sale at the end of the month, until then please keep checking back for more images.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Hey everyone, this weekend I will be at Zea May's Printmaking in Florence MA to complete the Dan Danger editions started a couple of months back. Please check in during the week for progress shots and updatery. Printing should begin sometime Friday afternoon and end sometime mid day on Sunday. It should be a fun weekend....
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Today I pulled the first CMYK photo intaglio-type to come off the press at Arcadia. The image has the same problems that the b/w one has below but I am more optimistic with this product. It still seems blown out to some degree and a lot of the softer details seem to have been lost but thats what tweeking is all about.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
After I finished working on Dan's plates I am beginning to start the research to get CMYK printing to work at Arcadia. This is the first test, a greyscale version of the full color image. 5LU, 8 min development at 89% dot. The image feels fuzzy to me and not as crisp as i'd like it to be. This could be because I added Noise .5 and added a Gausin Blur 1.0. The dots are showing up well, but I can't get a handle on why it looks this way? or is this as good as it will look?
Thursday, February 19, 2009
So all that is left is to pack the tubes and ship them off to the gallery. My hands are wrecked, see above. I think I washed them over 100 times last night, all the more reason to get a printing assistant. Still no sleep, but I am feeling pretty good after a nap or two.
code name "WYETH", i pulled this image from three separate plates this evening and I think I found a good one. The first attempt had some areas that were on the verge of open bite so I went and extended the exposure. This worked well and they are coming out nice. Now I just have to get a couple more nice ones before I fall asleep.
I am feeling a bit fuzzy, half way done. Now I have to re-laminate two plates from early, expose and print them again. All in all I should be finished by noonish. I am happy to see FLASHLIGHT up to it's full size after staring at it at 8"x10" for weeks. Seriously , I couldn't do this with out pete n pete. The Night-crawlers episode has new meaning....
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
So I got a late start tonight on account that I was teaching up till around 9pm this evening. I started printing code name "Wyeth" but after four prints decided that I needed a do over on the exposure. I moved on to "Cross Wires" but was experiencing the same problem so I had to scrap that plate as well. "Sword" is coming out well and I am pretty happy with it so far, no major problems. I have pizza in my belly a 2 liter of coke sitting outside the door, and Pete n' Pete on the TV.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
SWORD, rough version. Everything I did today is in the stripper and going to get re-laminated tonight for tomorrow. Tomorrow I am pulling all night to get things ready for mailing to the gallery on Friday. I am pretty happy with the plates but I am having issues with the press. The flat bed is not level, so it's throwing all of the pressure application from the rollers. So basically I get ghost spots which can sometimes look cool but I am worried they will be inconsistent.
I think i got things figured out today, just going through the images, making exposures and seeing how they turn out. I have been working on "Crossed Wires" for almost a week and I am glad to be near the end of the process.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Today i pushed to the full size image...i am getting close, it seems that most of the research I have been completing fell apart when the size got larger. The image is plagued with open bite areas that need remedy, but I can get a sense of how great these are going to look when I get there.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
a little blurry, but after at least two weeks of work I found a way to make things go right. The trick is that I exposed a little longer, only .2 of a LU, then hand developed, or over developed the foreground to get it to where it needed to be. It's not as precise as I would like but it will work.
My basic problem was this; i'd get the back ground and black tree to read well, but loose detail in foreground, and vice versa. Ideally I needed to make two exposures but things don't work that way. you can see the background here all open bit but with perfect detail in the foreground.